Welcome

Welcome to my page, which I hope will entertain you in some way, shape or form. I am your average 21 year old, I laugh too much, have moments of obvious immaturity and spend far too much time procrastinating. A lot of my time is spent dealing with my health, I'm in and out of hospital with severe allergic (brittle) asthma most of the time. I hope, however foolishly, that this page will provide you with an insight into what its like to live in my world, from admissions, clinic appointments and many, many days in bed.

Thursday 8 March 2012

It has been a while since I last posted on here, I would apologyse to you all - but chances are theres no one to apologise too! I mainly write this for myself to be honest, its a kind of therpy for me, helps me organise my crazy life and thoughts into one simple post (if only it was that easy in real life!). I cant say that anything groundbreaking or life changeing has occoured in the past month or even anything worth reporting.

Uni is going well - my attendance has been slightly shoddy, I have had a few days off because of illness but otherwise all is well. I have also handed in my first UCS history assignment, and I am just starting on an English one, which is due in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed they go well and they don't both come back as fails - I don't think I would be able to contain my disappointment if that was the case! I am actually enjoying English a lot more than I thought I would. Mainly because at the moment we are reading short stories, so my poor concentration is catered for! I have also fallen in love with my new kindle. So many books on such a small gadget! Its amazing! I really do sound like I should have been born in centuries gone by.

My student loan has also arrived, and thankfully I am in a much better financial situation for it. Even if the student loan company has not thought to go against their general theme of making major mistakes with loan amounts, at least I now have money! I must say i am a terrible with money. I will only ever be rich if the money comes in just as swiftly as it leaves, and I don't think that possible. Though after months of no money, I think i deserve a week in which I get myself all the little bits I have been lacking over the last few months.

Oh, I have also managed to, in my infinite wisdom, drop my iPhone down the toilet. I now have a rather temperamental phone, which is lacking sound, a camera and a home button. Thankfully the water damage only went as far as to damage those areas and not the entire thing. Roll on upgrade day, just cant come soon enough I am telling you that for sure.

I have positive and negative news as far as my health is concerned. Up until recently my chest has been fairly well behaved, I am now on 15mg of pred as a maintaince, which is the lowest I have been on for at least six months! I have only had a few occasional where I have needed to increase it up to 40 for a few days, but I have always managed to get back down to my maintaince dose relatively easily - its a miracle. Rather annoyingly so I am going through a rough patch at the moment, I was very close to making a visit to hotel de la nhs last night, but I managed to get things under control. I must remember though that even though I am going through a rough patch at the mo - things will get better, because they have been so much better recently. One set back doesn't mean I have to start all over again!

The negative news is that a previous near diagnosis of ME/CFS has risen its ugly head with vengeance. My notes now state that I have fibromyalgia and ME - a diagnosis which I resent in every way possible. I guess if it was something like a chest infection, where there are good, established methods of treatment, I wouldn't be so resentful of it. I guess I would even be pleased that my symptoms have been given a name and can now be treated - but no such luck. I am better than I was though - much better. I am now able to get in and out of the bath by myself, and I can manage the occasional walk into town. Though the tiredness and pain that hits the next day is so intense and indescribable that I am not sure if it is worth it. I have also given in and started using a crutch to help me get around, I was finding myself so wobbly that i had lost confidence, as much as i hated admitting i needed it, it has helped. They have also managed to get my general pain a bit more under control, but I am still getting a lot of 'breakthrough' pain, there's not much more they can do except oramorph which I really don't want, so I am trying sleeping tablets in the hope that I can just sleep though the pain and that maybe sleeping well will help me be able to cope with it better. I don't know, I have had one night of good sleep, but I haven't noticed any improvement during the day time yet to be honest.

There is also the very exciting news that a wee Scottish lass called Gilly  is coming to stay with me for a week at the end of this month! we are spending a night in a five star London hotel, meeting the wonderful Kirsten and  spending a day in Cambridge with my partner in crime, Emma! I am going back to the land of the scot's afterwards, where I have been promised a commando Scottish man playing the bagpipes in a kilt and an introduction to some bizarre activity called 'Egg Rolling'. Don't ask me, I haven't a clue.

Anyway, I am going to sign off now, and try to rest my weary head! i promise i wont leave it so long next time!

Muchous Lovas
Kirsty xx












No comments:

Post a Comment